Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan pumpkin scones


Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin!

It's a favorite for bakers this time of year and, to be honest, I can't quite get enough of it.

The sweet smell is so comforting as I scoop it into the bowl. I hold the spoon up to my nose and take a deep breath. Its bright burnt-orange color strikes a happy chord somewhere deep inside. It is almost like the color of a beautiful fall sunset, with the orange glow of the sun lighting up the red, orange, and yellow leaves on the trees.

My parents' house is on a corner lot, with a small pond to the west. The pond prevented building and provided us with an almost 'far as the eye could see' view of the sunset. Behind their house used to be a farm (until I was about 12 years old), so there is a long line of tall trees still separating their yard from what used to be the farmer's property. (In case you didn't grow up anywhere near a farm, these tree lines are used as a wind break). These big, beautiful trees turn lovely colors every fall and I have vivid memories of looking out of my bedroom window at the sunset and the glowing trees.

I am such a sucker for a good scone, so I made up a batch or two (okay, I admit - three!) of pumpkin scones this week, adapting a “Joy of Cooking” recipe to make it gluten and dairy free. I even took out the butter and the refined sugar. They came out good and hard on the outside and slightly soft, yet textured on the inside – exactly how I like my scones.

I nearly fell off my chair, biting into the first one. I couldn't believe I got it right on the first try! Not to mention, I gobbled it up in about 2 seconds. And, as far as I can tell, they are not that finicky, since this last batch came out just the same as the first. I am, of course, freezing a bunch of them for easy Sunday morning breakfasts.

Gluten-free, dairy-free pumpkin scones:

Note: I have gotten a number of questions about whether these can be made with regular butter and the answer is yes! Use 3/4 cup of butter, cut into pieces.

You can probably substitute any combination of gluten free flours in these, but I am finding that coconut flour contributes to the soft, almost pillowy, texture of baked goods and the millet flour makes them nice and tender. The tapioca flour is what gives you the “crust” and should only be substituted with another starch such as potato starch or arrowroot. Sorghum flour in place of the brown rice flour would definitely up the nutritional content.

1 cup brown rice flour

1/3 cup coconut flour

1/3 cup millet flour

1/3 cup tapioca flour

½ teaspoon xanthan gum

2 teaspoons baking powder

¼ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon ground ginger

1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

½ teaspoon ground cinnamon


¼ cup agave nectar or honey or brown rice syrup

1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree

6 tablespoons of coconut oil (in solid, but not “frozen” from; it should be about the consistency of refrigerated butter)

1/3 cup of hazelnut milk (or your favorite milk)

1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper on top and place that cookie sheet on top of another cookie sheet (unless you have an “airbake” cookie sheet). The double layer will prevent the bottoms from burning. Preheat the oven to 400F.

Pour the apple cider vinegar into the hazelnut milk and set aside for about 10 minutes (this makes “buttermilk”).

Mix all of your dry ingredients together in a large bowl or in the bowl of your mixer. Scoop the coconut oil into the flour mixture – for this I used a tablespoon measure and used a butter knife to drop each scoop individually into the flour mixture.

Either cut the coconut oil into the flour mixture with a butter knife or mix on low in your mixer until the mixture has the appearance of small pebbles.

In another bowl, mix your agave, “buttermilk,” pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract and blend well.

Mix the dry with the wet ingredients and, as the dough starts to form, use your hands to knead the dough a few times, until it is all combined.

Form a ball with the dough and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Flatten the dough into a circle, about an inch and a half tall.

Grab a large, flat spoon and pour a bit of hazelnut milk into a small glass. Dip the back of the spoon in the bit of hazelnut milk as needed and use it to both spread milk over the top of the dough and smooth the dough. If desired, sprinkle a bit of raw sugar on top.

Using a knife, slice the circle in half and cut each half into three triangles (the cuts will look like spokes on a wheel). Slightly separate the pieces from one another.

Bake at 400F for about 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy!

Tip: Do a double batch and freeze some for later!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!!!!!

10 comments:

glutenfreeforgood said...

Lauren -- great pumpkin scone recipe! And happy halloween to you too. I responded to your comment on my blog, but wanted to come over to your "house" and mention it as well. Your question about Bob's Red Mill is right on. They don't advertise their buckwheat flour as GF because it doesn't test out as GF. There are some other sources, but you've got me wondering now. I contacted Shiloh Farms, which is what I've purchased from celiac.com (I think, now I can't remember) and left them a message about this. Their products say gluten-free on the label but now I'm wondering if they test it. I'll find out. Good, good question!

Anonymous said...

they were so tasty! thanks for sharing some with me :) (Staci)

Karina Allrich said...

These look truly tasty! I'm jonesing for some pumpkin scones now. I'll have to make mine brown rice and coconut-free- but it's doable. Thanks for the inspiration!

Charissa said...

Is there a way to make this without the vinegar? I would love to try it, but I can't do vinegar....

Lauren Denneson said...

Charissa - they CAN be done without vinegar in the milk. The texture will be slightly different, but probably not that big of a difference.
The baking soda interacts with the "buttermilk" as a leavening agent. You could maybe try omitting the vinegar from the milk and adding an additional teaspoon baking powder to the dry ingredients.
Or, if you can do real buttermilk (though I'm guessing you can't), use that instead of the hazelnut/vinegar mixture.

Sara said...

thank you! I just made these and they came out fantastic. I used butter in place of coconut oil and soy flour in place of coconut flour. I just shared one with my fiance (a gluten eater) and even he liked it! For the rest I'm going to make a maple icing for the top, oh-yeah.

And to anyone making these: yes the dough is sticky ;)

Dia said...

How fun to find this recipe! I'm a huge coconut oil (& etc) fan, & usually use 1/3 C Coconut flour in my scone recipes!
We just went gluten free this summer, & my dau is also sensitive to egg yokes - mmm - these sound great!
I just roasted some chestnuts, planning to 'whirr' them in the processor for flour & thinking of what I want to add that too - am posting a link to your recipe!

e.b. said...

Sooooo tasty~ thanks for a wonderful recipe. Can't wait to share these with my family!

PaulaF said...

I am preheating the oven as I write this -- waiting for husband to emerge from reading to child #2 so we can make these. Thank you so much.

BTW, for the non-vinegar eater, I have had luck using a bit of citrus juice. ANything acidic works.

Dia said...

These have remained a favorite! Thanks again for the inspiration!

My Bodaceous Babes Red Hat group goes to a sweet private tea room once or twice a year, and I've brought my own GF scones for two of us, while the tea hostess provides the rest of a lovely tea, but 'leaded' scones.

I love cooking with pumpkin & squash throughout the winter. I use flax as my main egg replacer, & on the weekend used a blend of applesauce & squash for the 'liquid' in macaroons - mmmm.