Pages

Monday, January 5, 2009

Gluten free chocolate chip cookies

These indeed are my friends right now, thought I certainly haven't been doing any fishing.

Feeling a bit under the weather this weekend, I picked these up at the grocery store to calm the dry, painful ache in the back of my throat. Now, I am in the throws of a full-blown head cold and wish we had remembered to pick up facial tissue...

If you are looking for some gluten free throat lozenges - 'tis the season - these are indeed gluten free and nice and minty to boot.

Yesterday afternoon, I mustered the energy to bake up a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Nothing like some good old fashioned comfort food to make you feel better, right? I had also been meaning to try again after my last attempt at chocolate chip cookies.

Well, I still don't feel better, but at least there are treats! These turned out so good that Ben claimed to have never been a fan of chocolate chip cookies until he ate these.

I will be cozying up on the couch this evening to relax with my tea, a couple of cookies, and scrubs on the television set. Hopefully I will feel well enough to go to work tomorrow...

(gluten free) Chocolate chip cookies :

The secret to perfect chocolate chip cookies (either GF or not) is in the butter - use real butter at room temperature. If your butter is in the refrigerator, microwave on high for a few seconds at a time, rotating the sticks each time, until perfectly soft. Avoid creating any liquid in your butter!!

1 cup brown rice flour

1 cup tapioca flour

1/2 cup sorghum flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp xanthan gum

1 cup butter, softened

1 cup raw (turbinado) sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1 12 oz package of chocolate chips (my favorite are Guittard semisweet or milk chocolate)

In a mixing bowl, blend flours, baking powder, and xanthan gum. Set aside.

In another mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Stir in baking soda. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.

Add flour to the wet ingredients, about half at a time, until well combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir well to distribute.

Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto your cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.

Bake at 350F for about 15-17 minutes. Cool for a couple of minutes before removing from the cookie sheet to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Steph said...

these look great! i've learned about butter in cookies the hard way. i've yet to try chocolate chip cookies w/ spectrum, but i might just give this recipe a go :)
hope you're feeling better.