Pages

Monday, June 1, 2009

Coconut rice pudding

Growing up, I ate more granola than pudding snacks.


I have vague memories of hearing about such things from friends at school and on the television from Bill Cosby, well before I had ever seen one in real life. They were like whisperings in the wind, things of which urban legends were made.


I didn’t realize this was abnormal until high school when I realized many of my classmates didn’t eat granola for breakfast EVER.


Well, these aren’t your childhood pudding cups. Thank goodness.



Have I mentioned before my obsession with coconut? The flavor is what gets me, but it is also good for you - check out Gluten free for good’s post on the health benefits!


Coconut rice pudding:

1 can coconut milk (lite or regular)

1/3 cup Aborio or Carnaroli rice (Italian rice you would use for a risotto)

1-2 tablespooons agave nectar (or more for sweeter pudding)

Toasted sliced almonds for garnish


Optional add-in ideas:

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

¼ cup dried fruit

1 tsp vanilla extract

Top with fresh fruit, such as strawberries, a cooked fruit-compote, or jam


Bring coconut milk to boil in a large saucepan. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for about 30-40 minutes, until most of the milk is absorbed. Stir a few times during cooking.


Remove from heat and stir in the agave nectar. Add any of the add-ins suggested above or simply serve in small bowls with toasted sliced almonds sprinkled on top. I usually dish this up into 4 small jam jars and take one with my lunch. The one I have pictured here is with cocoa powder stirred in and cherry jam on top.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Laura said...

This looks really delicious! I'm thinking it would be a good dessert to take with me to outdoor music concerts in the park this summer as it's simple to prepare and very portable. I love your recipes!

Lauren Denneson said...

Thanks Laura! This does make a great, portable, summer dessert - and a good opportunity to incorporate fresh summer fruit.