Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

Gluten free strawberry-rhubarb crisp

It was a tad quieter around here this weekend, relative to the past couple of weeks…


Parents came to visit (both sets), I was hooded and called “doctor,” we ate good food and drank good wine, and houses were looked at and discussed…and discussed again.


The time flew by so fast, though we certainly enjoyed every minute of it. And, in the end, we were sad to see our parents go.


I turned around and suddenly the farmer’s market is filled with ripe hood river strawberries and Chelan cherries. If you have never had a hood river strawberry, you have never eaten a strawberry – believe me.


No white centers here, just deep red and dripping with juice.


We woke up excited Saturday morning – it was the day we got to pick up our first harvest box from our CSA. Despite the threat of rain, we happily walked down to the farmer’s market. Our share box was filled with strawberries, kohlrabi, butter lettuce, pinto beans, rhubarb, a calendula plant, and an onion.


We picked up another half-flat of strawberries and made jam. And a strawberry rhubarb crisp. And a strawberry salad with red onion, feta cheese, and balsamic vinegar.


Heaven.


As Ben and I ate the dinner he made us last night, we agreed: we eat pretty darn well.


I wonder now what my life had been like before I became used to telling the time of year by what fruit or vegetable was in season; before I knowingly grew excited in the weeks before berry season; or before I had a place in my kitchen where I hung my cloth market bags, stained red with hood river berries. Without realizing, it has all become so very much me.


It can be some of you, too!


Strawberry-rhubarb crisp (crumble)

Crisp or crumble? I really don't know the difference!


For the topping:

1 ½ cups Gluten free oats

1/2 cup tapioca flour

¼ cup millet flour

¼ cup coconut flour

1 tsp baking powder

2 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp ground cardamom

½ tsp salt

1 stick of butter

¼ cup agave nectar or honey

1 tsp vanilla


For the filling:

2 pints strawberries, hulled and larger ones sliced in half

1 ½ cups chopped rhubarb (about ¾ to 1-inch pieces)

4 tablespoons raw sugar

3 tablespoons tapioca flour

sprinkle of lemon juice


Heat oven to 375F.


Start with your filling. Mix filling ingredients in a glass 8-inch baking dish.


Then make your topping. In a medium-sized bowl, mix your dry ingredients until well-blended. In a small saucepan, melt your butter over low heat and stir in agave nectar and vanilla. Pour the butter mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until combined.


Spoon the topping over the filling and pop it in the oven. I recommend placing a foil-lined baking sheet under your baking dish to catch over-flow once the berries begin to bubble.


Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown on top and edges of filling are bubbling up to the top.


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Steph said...

This crisp/crumble looks delicious! I miss Oregon berries so much! Other berries really just don't compare :)