Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Feta



If you haven’t already figured out how strange I am, the fact that I love Brussels sprouts might just be the bit of information you need.  I am well aware of most people’s disdain for them, and I accept that most would find my love for them at the very odd end of the spectrum. 

However, I am convinced those who dislike Brussels sprouts have never snapped them off the stalk, cut them into quarters, and roasted them in the oven with olive oil.

Most people’s experience with Brussels sprouts begins by opening the freezer door and cutting open a plastic bag.  No wonder they find these little, green, mini-cabbage-like veggies a turn-off.  No matter how you prepare frozen Brussels sprouts, they just don’t compare to cutting them up fresh and roasting them until the edges get just a bit crisp and the middles are tender. 

After indulging in far too much ham, sweet potatoes, and pumpkin pie this weekend, I threw together this simple little meal Sunday night, something I made up on the fly with things in our fridge that desperately needed using.  Miles Davis provided the background music as I chopped veggies and apples and tossed them into a baking dish with a little olive oil and a smattering of spices.  We sat down to a warm, satisfying plate of my vegetable-fruit creation and Ben and I agreed we needed to remember this one.

And, it just might convince even the staunchest non-Brussels-sprout fans that there is something to like.

Roasted Brussels sprouts with apples and feta
The amounts do not matter that much here, just cook as much as you are going to eat.  Even though I’m a big fan of Brussels sprouts, they do loose some of their luster as leftovers – growing a bit bitter.

What you need:
Brussels sprouts, quartered
One or two medium apples, diced
One or two handfuls of walnut or pecan pieces
Splash apple cider vinegar
Olive oil
Dash rosemary
1 tsp or so ground coriander
1 tsp or so sea salt
Feta cheese

Preheat your oven to 400F.  Line a baking dish with aluminum foil.  Use a dish that is large enough so that the veggies and apples are in a single layer as much as possible.

Toss your chopped veggies and apples into the baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Add the splash of apple cider vinegar. Stir a bit to mix in the oil.

Sprinkle the spices and salt over the top, evenly.  Toss the walnut or pecan pieces evenly over the top. 

Bake for about 20-30 minutes, until sprouts are soft and just beginning to brown. 

Divide among plates and top with a tablespoon or so crumbled feta cheese.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

GF Gidget said...

Brussels Sprouts seem to be all the rage this week! Your recipe sounds fab! Anything with cooked apples is okay by me! However, I'm a purist when it comes to my Brussies. Straight up steamed please! YUMMY!

Kim and Megan said...

I also love Brussels Sprouts, but usually eat them just roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper. I love the idea of pairing them with apples. I can't wait to give it a try!