Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Greek Frappe


“…sunshine today with possibly a few sprinkles tomorrow and that is it for the next seven days,” I heard as I reached over to hit the snooze button, “It looks like we finally have arrived.”

Indeed we have, Mr. 94.7 disc jockey.  (I’m not sure of your name, but I invariably wake up to your voice every weekday morning).  The past week has been gorgeous and suddenly,  we are thrown into summer.  T-shirt and tank-top weather.  Summer dresses and sunglasses because-you-need-them kind of weather. 

We didn’t even get those few sprinkles you mentioned, Mr. DJ.

This weekend I made Ben a Nescafe Frappe, just like my friend Nikos made for us while I was in Greece a couple of years ago.  It’s the best way to do coffee when it’s hot.  And you must drink it with a straw.




Now excuse me while I go read a book in my sunny backyard. (recipe below!)



Nescafe Frappe
If you don’t have an immersion blender or a milk frother (the vibrating kind, not the steaming kind), you can put the dried coffee, sugar, water, and ice cubes in a plastic shaker container/bottle or plastic container with a lid and shake it up until it gets all frothy.  Then pour it into a glass.  Also, don’t omit the sugar entirely -- it helps develop the foam.  I think traditionally this is made with evaporated milk, but you can use any kind of milk you can tolerate or perhaps coffeemate ‘original’ creamer, which is both lactose and gluten free.  I used half and half this morning.

Per serving, you will need:
2 teaspoons Nescafe classic dried coffee
1-3 teaspoons white sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
Water
Milk (any kind) or creamer (half and half, coffeemate, etc)
2-3 ice cubes

Place the coffee granules and the sugar in a large glass (16 oz works best).  Add an inch or so of cold water.  Use an immersion blender or milk frother (not the seaming kind) to blend until foam almost reaches the top of the glass. 

Add a splash of milk/creamer and the ice cubes to fill the glass.

Use the straw to stir the drink as you enjoy it.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Yum! Great recipe! Looks like the garden is growing well. Glad you're finally getting your summer weather :)