Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Wash-and-wear gluten free cornbread muffins

I’ve found myself looking online for simple meal ideas.  For easy, quick, whole-foods kinds of meals.  No-frills, wash-and-wear-kind-of-gal meals. 

I’m looking for ways to simplify and streamline my life lately, especially in the kitchen.  I want to come home from work, put away my bike, change into human clothes, and put together a simple meal so I have time to enjoy working in the garden or relaxing outside with a pear cider.

It must be the warming weather.  I feel a furious need to spring clean - to get behind the refrigerator and wipe out the built-up cat hair and dust, to clean crumbs out of the toaster, to find a place for things that Ben and I have been kicking around since we moved in (in September) and for which we haven’t quite gotten around to developing a system.


This is helping.  Ben and I tackled the project of designing and building a built-in bookcase in one of the upstairs bedrooms, to house our numerous books.  Ben got them into place this morning and they're not quite organized yet (we were just too excited to get all of what you see here off of the floor and ‘put away’ as much as possible), so they look pretty cluttered right now, but it already feels 100 times better.


Basement - you’re next.

In my quest for simplicity, I’ve given in to frequent returns to one of our favorite baking mixes - Bob’s red mill gluten free cornbread mix.  We had this for the first time when my sister purchased it to make cornbread while we were in Minneapolis for Christmas.  Really, not too shabby, but a bit dry. 

So, I’ve been tweaking it, playing with it, coaxing it into something fluffier, sweeter. 

These make for a great morning breakfast treat or an afternoon pick-me-up, buttered with a drizzle of raw honey.

As part of my no-frills cooking this week, we will be having these tapas-style with sliced manchego, slices of avocado, and sautéed chickpeas with zucchini, seasoned with cumin, garlic, and cilantro.

If anyone has any good low-maintenance meal ideas, please leave a comment and we can all live a little simpler as the weather warms.

Doctored Bob’s red mill Gluten Free cornbread mix muffins
Have all your ingredients at room temperature.

1 package Bob’s red mill cornbread mix
2 eggs
1 ½ cups milk (any kind)
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon melted butter
2 tablespoons raw honey
1 tablespoon raw sugar or brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
About ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375F and line muffin tins with paper liners (makes 12 muffins).

Pour mix into a large bowl with cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar.  Blend well. 

Add eggs, milk, honey, and butter and mix until you have an even consistency.  Spoon the mixture into the paper liners (they will all be full). 

Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden brown on top and the muffin tops don’t give when you lightly press on them.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Dia said...

oh my gosh - those shelves look GREAT!! & what a treat, to have your books up off the floor (I know that one!! Even though I 'should' have enough shelves . . .
& the cornbread looks yummy! A friend got a camp oven & took it to a campout last week, & made some jalapeno cornbread with creamed corn & sour cream . . . fun! Also delightfully gluten free :)
I use 1/2 coconut oil in baking, with the butter - turns out really nice. & often use coconut milk - these look tasty!

Lauren Denneson said...

Dia - thank you! We're pretty pleased with those shelves. Jalapeno cornbread sounds delicious... and thanks for the coconut oil suggestion. I've used it in place of butter, but not together with butter - seems like it would work well!